"We do not remember days, we remember moments." Cesare Pavese

Friday, July 8, 2016

a flamingo and a fox...

Hey friends!!! Happy Friday!! I'm popping with a couple of cards today for several different challenges.  First up is a card is a card that combines two of my favorite challenges:  Freshly Made Sketches and Color Throwdown.   I really like flamingos and have for a long time so I'm really loving all the flamingo inspired stamp sets out there.  Recently I purchased the Hero Arts Color Layering Flamingo stamp set along with the matching die and I couldn't wait to ink it up.  I know that flamingos are not red, but red is one of the colors in the Color Throwdown palette and so I just went with it.  I have to say that I really love how my flamingo turned out!  I had a bit of panic when I couldn't find the tiny beak stamp, but thankfully I found it!!  I used my mini MISTI to help me stamp the body of flamingo.   In order to get the variation in the layers of color I inked up the main body image and then stamped it off on scrap paper before stamping it on my cardstock.  Then I stamped the second layer at full strength and the third layer was actually stamped twice to get the depth of color needed.  For the oval element on the sketch I used the MFT Inside and Out Stitched Rectangle dies.   I added some clear Wink of Stella to the body and it looks really pretty in real life.

My second card is for the current My Favorite Things Wednesday sketch challenge.   One of the trends lately has been critter stamps.  I have resisted buying critter stamp sets because I'm just not that great at coloring, but I stepped outside my comfort zone and purchased one of MFT's cute little critter sets, Sweet Forest Friends, and did some watercoloring.  My watercoloring is a work in progress, but I really do like how everything turned out.  Initially I tried using my Zig Clean Color markers, but I need more practice with them so I used my Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors.  All the images were stamped in VersaFine Vintage Sepia ink and then water colored.  After everything was dry I die cut the images with the matching dies.  A background was watercolored with light blue and green watercolors to create my grass and sky.  When that piece was dry I die cut it with a Inside and Out Stitched die. Obviously the round element from the sketch was replaced with my little scene of the tree, fox, bird and flowers.  The banners were cut with the MFT Stitched Fishtail Flag Stax die from some MFT patterned papers in neutral colors.
Thanks for stopping by today...

Supplies:  Cardstock:  white, SSS fog; Stamps:  Hero Arts Color Layering Flamingo; My Favorite Things Sweet Forest Friends; Dies:  Hero Arts, My Favorite Things and A Jillian Vance Design;  Inks:  Stampin Up! Gumball Green and Real Red, VersaFine Vintage Sepia and Onyx Black; MFT patterned paper; Ranger watercolor paper


9 comments:

Lisa Lara said...

I love how your flamingo turned out with the red Rosi. I love your placement of him on your background. What a sweet little scene with the fox and the MFT sketch.

Greta said...

These are just great, Rosemary! The flamingo is wonderful done in red & your stamping is perfect! Love how you used the sketch for the second one--I've had no ideas at all for that. Enjoy the weekend!

Ali P said...

So love the freshness your Flamingo card has, and the fact you have done him in red is just stunning, Love it

Wanda Cullen said...

Love this multiple stamped flamingo in reds! It really pops in the gallery! Thanks so much for playing along with us again at Color Throwdown!

Anita in France said...

Your flamingo is brilliant in red, Rosemary ... the layered stamping really makes it pop against the reed background! Sweet woodland scene ... those little critters and sweet blooms are just adorable! Hugs, Anita :)

Jen Timko said...

Great cards, Rosemary! Your little flamingo is such fun. Glad to see you this week at FMS!

Amy O said...

Beautiful cards! I love that flamingo -- you've done such a fabulous job of layering the colors. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

Vickie Z said...

Wonderful cards!! Great use of the sketch. Great use of the CTD challenge....love that flamingo!, so glad you joined us!!

Petra Swart said...

Your flamingo looks absolute amazing, Rosemary and the red is so beautiful - wonderful layered stamping!!!! Such a lovely scene with the grass and water and a great idea to use the rectangle!!! Love your take on the sketch!!!! The second card with the little critters is cute as can be!!! Such a sweet little scene you've got there!!!! Very creatively done, my friend!!!
Hugz